Location: Kansas City, MO
The Database Administrator reporting to the System Operations Manager will have responsibility for administering and growing our production card processing databases, including online transaction processing (OLTP), reporting, and data warehouse. The system operations team is comprised of engineers, system administrators, analysts, and DBA that are responsible for maintaining numerous systems spanning multiple databases with a high availability processing environment. The Database Administrator will be responsible for the health and welfare of our primary MS SQL Cluster, reporting databases, and data warehouse. She/he will direct the ongoing vision for our production database technologies, provide expert advice and mentorship to other staff members, and manage the database operations for a high availability transaction processing system.
• Accountability, ownership (as part of a team) for administering primary and DR database operations, including backup strategy, high availability strategy, file maintenance, replication, mirroring, etc.
• Design analysis/review, performance tuning, and impact analysis of database modifications to primary authorization and data warehouse databases.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• High level of urgency
• Commitment to winning
• Self-direction and strong sense of ownership
• Sense of Humor
• Attention to detail
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a member of the Technology Team, the Database Administrator will perform some, any or all of the following:
• Administration of EML databases, including backup strategy management, account management, and file maintenance
• Implementation of highly-available database systems with tools such as clustering, replication, log shipping, and database mirroring
• Design and implementation of data warehousing systems for business intelligence needs using OLAP or other similar technologies
• Modeling and documentation of existing and new databases
• Implementation of version control systems and procedures for database objects
• Creation and delivery of ad-hoc reports to internal and external customers
• Troubleshooting database-related systems problems, including performance, exceptions, and other business logic failures related to the data structure
• Capacity planning, including monitoring and reporting of current system performance
• Review, testing, and deployment of database modifications by software development staff
• Management of PCI and SSAE 16 compliance for database systems, including security management, log review, and database sanitization for non-production environments
• Participate in 24/7 on-call rotation
• 5+ years of database administration experience in high volume, transaction processing systems environment with MS SQL Server versions 2012 and above
• Experience with enterprise wide upgrades to SQL server
• Experience evaluating SQL updates that are released as part of monthly Microsoft patches and understanding impact on existing SQL operations
• Familiar with partitioning, archiving, and other solutions for data scalability
• Able to solve complex business problems with generic and reusable solutions
• Self-motivated with the ability to work well in small teams
• Bachelor’s Degree or equal experience
• Work with diplomacy and cooperative style necessary to deal effectively with EML technology team, management, partners and provider organizations.
• Fluent in relational database design
• Demonstrated knowledge of advanced feature sets of SQL Server versions 2012 and above
• A mindset for a disciplined, detail-oriented approach to change control with an appropriate reverence for 24-7 financial processing environments.
• Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills
• Act with integrity, credibility and character demonstrating at all times high moral and ethical behavior
• Ability to solve complex business problems with generic and reusable solutions.
Desirable Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Experience with Microsoft C# and the .NET framework
• Experience with PCI regulations or the card processing industry